On September 1st Poland presented A REPORT ON THE LOSSES SUFFERED BY POLAND AS A RESULT OF GERMAN AGGRESSION AND OCCUPATION DURING WORLD WAR II, 1939-1945. The Report consists of three volumes: Volume A - A collection of studies; Volume B - Photographic documentary; Volume C - List of atrocity sites. The download will start automatically.

Sunday, August 1, 2021

August 1st, 1944. First day of Warsaw Uprising

 77 years ago, on July 31st, 1944, the Commander of the Home Army (AK), Gen. Tadeusz Komorowski "Bór" gave the order to the commander of the Warsaw-City District Col. Antoni Chruściel "Monter" to start the uprising on August 1st, 1944. "After nearly five years of uninterrupted and hard struggle in the underground, you are now standing openly, arms in hand," the summons proclaimed.

"Alarm - to the hands of the District Commanders (...). I order "W" on 1.8. 5 pm. [...] Acknowledge receipt of the order immediately." - said the message sent out to the field by colonel "Monter."

Chruściel justified the time of the uprising's outbreak at 5.00 pm with the fact that in the afternoon crowds on the streets, it would be easier for underground soldiers to reach the assembly points without being noticed.

In the evening of the same day, after unsuccessful attempts to attack the German forces in Żoliborz and Bielany, the 2nd District of the Home Army commander informed the headquarters about the withdrawal towards the Kampinos Forest. Near Boernerowo and the Swedish Mountains, the insurgents were attacked by the forces of the "Hermann Goering" Division. Over 70 soldiers were killed, including that were taken prisoner and summarily executed. The fallen were buried in the Wawrzyszewski Cemetery.

On August 1 and 2, units of the AK Stołpecko-Nalibocki Group attacked the Bielany airport. The command of the Home Army hoped that allied planes with support for the Uprising, including the Polish Independent Parachute Brigade, could land on those airfields. Both attacks were unsuccessful, and the Polish forces have withdrawn to the Kampinos Forest, where they continued the fight as the "Kampinos Group."